rfc module autodetection patch set

From: Trevor Saunders
Subject: rfc module autodetection patch set
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 07:28:58 -0500

Hi,

> > *do we want to look at permissions at all, I don't think there is any
> > security issue with not doing so, but does anyone else have thoughts on
> > this?
>
> Yes.  Make sure that it is owned by root and executable by
> the owner of the server process.  The module directory shouldn't be
> writable by users other than root, so this is probably just a little
> extra defensiveness on my part.

if we don't have the right to run it exec should fail, and as for the
other part what about people installing to non standard places on
machines on which they don't have root?  Say I want to install to
/home/tbsaunde/blah/speech-dispatcher-modules/ then those modules
shouldn't need to be owned by root.  So I'm not actually convinced after
more thought that there is a reasonable check we can do.

> > *we still deal with all the module loading in
> > speechd_load_configuration() is this where we want it to happen?
>
> Last time I looked, this could use a refactoring.
>
> > *it would be nice for autodetection to be able to work with the generic
> > module to some degree, based on the way the current support works
>
> I don't know how we can make this work.  Right now, all of the
> generic configs are installed on the user's system.  There's no way of
> knowing which of them will actually work for the user.

yes,  but the same is true of cicero, festival, and maybe another one or
two.

> > *I keept the Addmodule directive so people could deal with configuring
> > modules not in the MODULEBINDIR, and other nonstandard things.
>
> Good!  I also propose an ExcludeModule directive, which prevents a
> module from being loaded by autodetection.
> E.G.,
> ExcludeModule "sd_ibmtts"

sure, if we autodetect first that shouldn't bee too hard to do.

Trev