Speech-dispatcher problems with ubuntu EasyPeasy on netbook

From: Jennifer
Subject: Speech-dispatcher problems with ubuntu EasyPeasy on netbook
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 01:35:59 +0100

Hello everyone. I have been experimenting with Linux for about 6 months on and
off but am still quite a noob. I wanted to make orca more responsive and
snappy, as I am using it on my net book and it is very slow     and laggy,
particularly on the internet.
I have installed speech-dispatcher and the python interface speech-d. I have
checked that they are installed and that they are the correct versions. I can
not start speech-dispatcher as a user or as a system service, note that I have
disabled pulse audio and am using alsa. I get the following output:
client: speech dispatcher failed to open: connection refused

I have tried the command spd-say "hello" (with and without the quotes and I get
the same error as above.
 Also when I tried the command speech-dispatcher -d I got a message about not
being able to create a pid file in the home directory due to the wrong
permissions. Should I use sudo speech-dispatcher -d or something like that?

Any help or suggestions to links would be very much appreciated. I did find
some resources on the net relating to this issue but they seemed a little
confusing.

Thanks
Jen!

database 4316 (20090807) __________