speech-dispatcher and pulse

From: Paul Hunt
Subject: speech-dispatcher and pulse
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 19:23:43 -0000

Hello list,

I have a Ubuntu Intrepid machine that is running the default configuration of
pulse, gnome-speech and orca.

I have installed the speakup modules and have installed speech-dispatcher and
speechd-up and can now switch to a text console after logging in to gnome and
get speech.

I am currently using speech-dispatcher in user mode, starting it dfrom the
gnome session dialogue with the command

speech-dispatcher -d -l 1 -C /home/paul/.speech-dispatcher/conf

I know that if I change /etc/default/speech-dispatcher to yes then pulse can't
start when gnome starts.

I would like to disable gdm from starting automatically and have my machine
boot to a text console with speakup running via speech-dispatcher/speechd-up
but I would also like to still be able to run gnome and have speech and other
sounds via pulse.

I know there have been lots of discussions in the past about runnning
speech-dispatcher and pulse audio together but I cannot find any instructions
on how to configure my system so that I can run speech-dispatcher before gdm
starts and still get sound via pulse when I do start gdm.  I hope I've
explained this clearly.

I do not want to remove pulse.

If someone could supply me with some instructions or point me to some I'd be
very grateful :-)

Paul