Speechd-el: Word Echo, Smarter Navigation, Visual Performance?

From: Tomas Cerha
Subject: Speechd-el: Word Echo, Smarter Navigation, Visual Performance?
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:06:10 +0200

Veli-Pekka T?til? wrote:
> I'm not familiar with CVS so would you happen to know how early I might
> have a Ubuntu binary of the latest version in synaptic? Alternatively,
I could
> always try compiling from source.

You can download the current CVS snapshot as a tarball at:

http://www.freebsoft.org/speechd-el

This way you don't need to mess up with CVS...

> Is there a SAPI 5 based port of speechd-el running natively or under
> Cygwin, just out of curiosity?

No, but this is an interesting question.  This might be achieved by
implementing a SAPI 5 output module for Speech Dispatcher and porting SD
to Windows, which might not be that hard.  This would also allow some
other nice tricks, such as using your Windows synth from Orca when
running Orca in a VM or when Windows runs on another machine.  Another
interesting thing might be implementing a SAPI 5 driver for Speech
Dispatcher (the other way round).  Anyone interested is welcome to
comment on this...

> V: Yes, exactly. in addition to speechd-el it might be Gnome-terminal

If that means that you run emacs within Gnome Terminal, I'd strongly
recommend running the X11 version of emacs (not the GTK one).

Best regards, Tomas