Speechd-el: Word Echo, Smarter Navigation, Visual Performance?

From: Veli-Pekka Tätilä
Subject: Speechd-el: Word Echo, Smarter Navigation, Visual Performance?
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 18:34:44 +0300

Hi Milan,
And thanks for geting bakc to me. SInce you took a rather nicely speech
readable quoting style let me experiment with another. I'm using V: for my
comments, M for yours, with an ordinal appended if you refer to multiple
comments by a person. This is easy to search, quote by hand and is nicely
spoken, too. BTW, I won't be here to answer mail for a few days due to an
accessibility related thing abroad:

M, V = Milan, Veli-Pekka

V2: 1, lack of word echo: There's no word echo in speechd-el for immediate
feedback when typing, That's just majorly bad for me, since I've edited with
word echo about 10 years in quite a number of apps. <snippage> I can pick
out most ENglish and Finnish typos by pronunciation when word echoed
<snippage>
M: Well, this feature is easy to add.  So I've implemented it and it's in
speechd-el CVS now. It can be enabled by setting new speechd-speak-echo
V: Huge thanks for such a greatly important and quick fix. I'm not familiar
with CVS so would you happen to know how early I might have a Ubuntu binary
of the latest version in synaptic? Alternatively, I could always try
compiling from source.

This is more like knit picking, but I imagine as a newbie that Emacs has a
format specific idea of a word. If it does e.g. stopping on dots and slashes
in URLS for easier navigation, does the wordecho get triggered when you add
a separator, such as a dot? My Windows reader does this but only in a
hard-coded, silly fashion for common punctuation. Is there a SAPI 5 based
port of speechd-el running natively or under Cygwin, just out of curiosity?

V2: ideally I'd like to tell Emacs, move to the next sentence, and have
speechd-el read me the whole of the next sentence, as that's what my
movement implied. It does not do that, reading the destination line after
the navigation in stead.
N: speechd-el already works for me this way.  For example, when I press
`M-e' Emacs moves to the next sequence and reads it.  The same applies to
paragraphs. Did you change any speechd-el basic reading settings?
V: I think I've changed some of those or else I just tested badly. I'm sure
I've killed ehcoing of all commands as documented in basic options. I'll
restore to the defaults and check that I've got the latest version, just in
case. On a side note, how do you do C-e for end of line without commanding
speechd-el?

V2: Alternatively, on the reader side, you could just read whatever is
between the current and previous cursor position when the cursor moved,
which would amount to much the same thing without the reader having to
understand app logic other than getting the whole doc contents.
M: This may not be that easy.  Cursor can move for many reasons, even within
interactive commands,
V: And macroes, good point.

M: not sure the user would be always happy with such a behavior.
V: I'd agree here. SOmetimes you'd like to jump ahead a screenful as a form
of gambling scanning, seeing if jumping such a visual arbitrary unit got you
to some nice place. IN such a jump it would be better, for example, to just
read the destination line for you to get a quick idea of the contents. But
it all depends on context, and the user. An option would be best, but this
is a minor thing now that I know the navigation works as I thought it
should.

V2: One nice addition would be a command, stop the speech and drop the
cursor to the pos the reader was reading at the moment. <snip> pretty neat
in hands-free reading a whole chapter, wishing to pause in the middle
M: Yes, this would be nice.  It's possible to implement this feature as
Speech Dispatcher already contains support for index marks.
V: Ah, true, you have to know where the synth is now to do this. Again I
think this is a nice-to-have feature, not anything major. Now I think I've
got most of the major annoyances about Emacs sorted personally. Word echo is
there, navigation works as expected after all, and for my hotkey gripes, on
other lists, there's a layout for touch typists:

http://xahlee.org/emacs/ergonomic_keybinding_qwerty.el

V2: 3. Performance on older machines:
M: Do you speak about your Pentium laptop with speechd-el Ubuntu package?
V: Yes, exactly. in addition to speechd-el it might be Gnome-terminal, or
the fact that I've got Orca running for GUI apps in the background. Well the
performance is only a problem visually, speechd-el responds reasonably fast
with eSPeak and speech-dispatcher. oddly my Windows synth, Orpheus, is even
snappier, but I'm not sure why that is.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka T?til?
Accessibility, Apps and Coding plus Synths and Music: