Question about speechd, w3m and columns

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Question about speechd, w3m and columns
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:07:52 +0100

    NVP> I guess emacs wasn't designed with this in mind

Not Emacs, but emacs-w3m or perhaps w3m itself.

    NVP> which makes perfect sense if speech output isn't required.

Yes.

    NVP> Columns will mostly be separated by 3 or more spaces, and text
    NVP> within columns won't normally contain more than this amount of
    NVP> space.

I added this feature tentatively to speechd-el CVS.  You can set the
speechd-speak-separator-regexp variable:

  (setq speechd-speak-separator-regexp "   ")

It doesn't work very well though.  For first, it only works with line
reading commands, it doesn't make sense to apply it to other commands as
Emacs itself can't recognize sentences, paragraphs, etc. there.  For
second, if the cursor happens to end up inside starting or final
whitespace of a short line, empty text is signalled.

I think a better solution would be if w3m rendered the columns
vertically one after other instead of side-by-side.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal