solang-users

Re: [Solang-users] Building solang in Ubuntu

From: Debarshi Ray
Subject: Re: [Solang-users] Building solang in Ubuntu
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 02:11:21 +0200

Here is an article that I wrote that you might want to read:
http://debarshiray.wordpress.com/2010/01/16/solang-what-is-brewing-for-0-4/

> Tracker can already search for EXIF and XMP tags. For example, it
> already finds images tagged with F-Spot (with the write-to-file option
> enabled).

Interesting. I have never seriously used F-Spot myself, so I did not
know this. Does Tracker make nao:Tags out of them? (All tags shown in
the tag view on the left are instances of nao:Tag.)

What you need is Tumbler: http://git.xfce.org/apps/tumbler/

> thumbnailer-proxy.cpp:155, void
> Solang::signal_proxy_org_freedesktop_thumbnails_Thumbnailer1_queue_reply(DBusGProxy*,
>  guint, GError*, void*): The name org.freedesktop.thumbnails.Thumbnailer1 was
> not provided by any .service files

You are lucky that it did not crash. :-) I did not test for that
eventuality for 0.4.

> 2. On the "tags" list, i get tags that aren't from images, like tags
> Tracker extracted from PDF files. Is that intended?

Good point. It would be very easy to filter them out, but there is a
problem. What if you create a new tag and want to attach it to a
photo. Since your newly created tag is not attached to a photo the
filter can block it and then you will not be able to attach it to
anything.

I have not paid too much thought to this, but if we can streamline our
tagging workflow and UI, I am sure we can come up with something. Do
you have any ideas?

Cheers,
Debarshi
--
One reason that life is complex is that it has a real part and an
imaginary part.