solang-users

Re: [Solang-users] Building solang in Ubuntu

From: Jorge
Subject: Re: [Solang-users] Building solang in Ubuntu
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 20:06:06 -0200

On Sat, 2010-01-23 at 19:29 +0200, Debarshi Ray wrote:
> > I'm trying to build solang from the repositories, and have trouble
> > satisfying the "geglmm >= 0.1.0" requirement. Where can this geglmm be
> > found? I'm using Ubuntu 9.10.
>
> You can get it from http://download.gnome.org/sources/geglmm

Thanks, i just found it and built it (had to fix the Makefile, tough).

> I would suggest that you use the latest GEGL from git.gnome.org if you
> want the best out of the editor.

I was forced to, as the geglmm 0.1.0 doesn't support the GEGL that comes
with Ubuntu.

> > PS: i think the idea of a photo manager using tracker for searching tags
> > (stored in-file, no less) is great.
>
> The tags are not stored within the image files. Tracker stores them in
> a SQLite database. The only special thing is that other applications
> can use this database too.

Tracker can already search for EXIF and XMP tags. For example, it
already finds images tagged with F-Spot (with the write-to-file option
enabled). That's actually great news, because that means an user will
keep his classification when switching from F-Spot to Solang.
Also, as i understand, Tracker's "writeback" functionality is intended
for updating metadata in the files when the files support it (like mp3,
jpeg, etc.).

I have two question about working with Solang:

1. What thumbnailer service to use? I guess i need to install some
application, but have no clue which
Some images haven't thumbnails, and i get the following errors:

thumbnailer-proxy.cpp:155, void
Solang::signal_proxy_org_freedesktop_thumbnails_Thumbnailer1_queue_reply(DBusGProxy*,
 guint, GError*, void*): The name org.freedesktop.thumbnails.Thumbnailer1 was
not provided by any .service files

2. On the "tags" list, i get tags that aren't from images, like tags
Tracker extracted from PDF files. Is that intended?

Greetings,

Jorge