social-mediagoblin

Re: [Social-mediagoblin] Tahoe-LAFS as a document-oriented database

From: Greg Grossmeier
Subject: Re: [Social-mediagoblin] Tahoe-LAFS as a document-oriented database
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:28:58 -0400

<quoting name="will kahn-greene" date="2011-04-14" time="13:05:16 -0400">
> On 04/14/2011 12:12 PM, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> > Deborah Nicholson <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> >> Several free software versioning systems already exist, so it seems
> >> like there really ought to be an example out there where someone has
> >> made it play nicely with a database, right? (sadly I don't have any
> >> idea what that example might be) If we can take an existing version
> >> control system and massage it in, it might not be too much extra work
> >> to include. Or at least leave the door open for later if we have an
> >> idea of what system we'd want to add when we get there. Feel free to
> >> tell me why this wouldn't work. :)
> >
> > If VCS stuff gets introduced, it'll be far in the future, and probably
> > as a plugin.
> >

> To clarify, I don't need all the things a version control system would
> provide: tags, branching, commit messages, cloning, ...  I just need a
> list of the previous versions of the image and datetime stamps and the
> ability to browse the versions as a gallery.

This reminds me of the way F-Spot keeps track of modifications to a photo
in its database. Effectively, whenever a modification is made, it makes a
new copy of the file, say IMG_1235.jpg -> IMG_1235 (modified).jpg. And
then for every new modification it gets a number eg: IMG_1235
(modified (2)).jpg.

I don't like how it names the files (the use of spaces and parens) but
this style of just listing "modifications" does work well for situations
where you only have 1-4 versions of a photo. The software knows that the
files created are versions of an original and shows that in the
interface.

Greg

--
|       Greg Grossmeier |