social-mediagoblin

Re: [Social-mediagoblin] Tahoe-LAFS as a document-oriented database

From: will kahn-greene
Subject: Re: [Social-mediagoblin] Tahoe-LAFS as a document-oriented database
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 13:05:16 -0400

On 04/14/2011 12:12 PM, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> Deborah Nicholson <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Several free software versioning systems already exist, so it seems
>> like there really ought to be an example out there where someone has
>> made it play nicely with a database, right? (sadly I don't have any
>> idea what that example might be) If we can take an existing version
>> control system and massage it in, it might not be too much extra work
>> to include. Or at least leave the door open for later if we have an
>> idea of what system we'd want to add when we get there. Feel free to
>> tell me why this wouldn't work. :)
>
> If VCS stuff gets introduced, it'll be far in the future, and probably
> as a plugin.
>
> I do have ideas on how to support multiple "revisions" of things.  I'll
> try to write that up soon when I put in, but I'm thinking it'll be more
> of keeping the old file, adding a new file, and just keeping annotations
> in the database about which ones are which so we can show that to users.
>
> If people want a VCS, there are already a lot of tools that handle that
> better than we would currently.

To clarify, I don't need all the things a version control system would
provide: tags, branching, commit messages, cloning, ...  I just need a
list of the previous versions of the image and datetime stamps and the
ability to browse the versions as a gallery.

If my use case fits in, that's great.  If it doesn't, I'm totally fine
with that.  I don't know if it makes sense to make my weird needs a
driving use case.  At worst, I can throw together an app that does what
I need on my own.