smc-devel

[smc-devel] Re: Malayalam OpenType font (GPL'ed)

From: Baiju M
Subject: [smc-devel] Re: Malayalam OpenType font (GPL'ed)
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 07:49:52 +0000

There is small problem with rendering of Malayalam vovel sign AU (U0D4C).
Nowadays we are not using the shape of that character as specified in
Unicode Malayalam chart (http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0D00.pdf),
instead we are using the shape of U0D57 (Malayalam AU length mark).
Minstry of IT ( Govt. of India ), a member of unicode consortium has
prosed a change in this (Its not making any backward compatibility
problem,
just the character shape is changing). So the rendering of that charcter
can
be changed in yudit.

Here is a diff of yudit-2.6.4/stoolkit/SCluster.c :

967,968d966
<   case 0x0d4c:
<     return 0x0d46;
993,994d990
<   case 0x0d4c:
<     return 0x0d57;

please patch this into SCluster.c

Thanks for supporting my mother toungue in Yudit.

Baiju M
--
P.S: I CC'ed this mail to our project list also.

> Hi Baiju,
> Thank you very much for the font!
> Cheers
> Gaspar
>
> On Sat, 9 Nov 2002, Baiju M wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>    I have a GPL''ed Malayalam OpenType font. Its originally created by
>> Jeroen Hellingman <address@hidden> using Metafont, then N.V Shaji
>> <address@hidden> converted into TrueType by using PfaEdit, now I
>> added some GSUB tables. Could you please add this into your download
>> section. Recently a private company has released 35 indian language
>> fonts nder GPL, I started converting 4 Malayalam fonts into OTF, will
>> send you after completing.
>>
>> The font is Unicode based, name : MalOtf.ttf

http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/smc/free-mal-fonts.pkg/1.0/free-mal-fonts
.tar.gz