String escapes?

From: JD
Subject: String escapes?
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 16:49:12 +0300

Hi!

I just switched from 4.01.00 to the latest master (4.99.00, hash: f0d6154), and
some string escapes seem not to work any more?

I had this hardstatus: "%{wb}%-w %{wr}%n %t %{wb}%+w %=%H | %c | %d-%m-%Y", and
now clock and date sections display nothing, and also no colors are shown (the
whole statusline is just white on black with the current window being inverted,
black on white, while it used to have some blue and red colors :)

FWIW, programs running inside screen display colors just fine.

Can anything confirm? Is it me somehow, or is it an expected behaviour?

Man page here:
https://www.gnu.org/software/--screen/manual/screen.html#String-Escapes still
mentions date, time and colors...

Thank you :)