Re: Windowlist menu customization

From: Marcin Cieslak
Subject: Re: Windowlist menu customization
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 07:07:45 +0000

On Tue, 26 Jun 2018, Amadeusz Sławiński wrote:

> OK, I think I may be bit confused about what you are trying to do here.
> If you want to set title based on what you just started in shell it's
> possible right now...
> http://web.mit.edu/gnu/doc/html/screen_9.html#SEC37
> http://aperiodic.net/screen/title_examples
> or just search for "gnu screen set window title bash" (or some other
> shell)

Let's leave xterm window titles to a side for a moment; I, for one,
don't use them - because I dislike heavily customized shell prompts
everywhere and when I don't do that -- the programs that do set xterm title
leave a mess there. I also don't have a hard status line, I invoke
the window list by pressing ^A W manually.

I think what Chris wants is some sensible tracking of the "current interactive
process" on a tty. I think tmux does something similar to this.
That could ba further expansion of the "%T" idea.

Some tmux-related discussion:
https://superuser.com/questions/879349/tmux-detect-which-process-runs-in-the-active-pane

https://superuser.com/questions/827176/what-does-the-first-pid-of-a-pane-in-tmux-mean

While it could be possible to detect the last process running in
a screen window, I don't know if it is possible to sensibly detect
the "man | less" case to prefer "man". In some cases, the last process
in the pipeline will be what the user wants to recognize the context.

Marcin