Re: emacs compatibility - changing a default binding?

From: Peder Stray
Subject: Re: emacs compatibility - changing a default binding?
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 06:52:55 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013, Gregor Zattler wrote:

Hi Michael, screen users,
* Michael Grant <address@hidden> [24. Apr. 2013]:
I don't know if it would work but maybe you could bind screen to use an
obscure unicode character

no luck. Screen is not utf aware on this level. I used to use "°" but with the switch to utf8 -terminal it did not work any more. I opened a bug for this issue: https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?25752

I now also use ctrl-^.

As almost all of Ctrl-A to -Z are used to some extent in applications I use daily, or are way to hard to type fast, I went for Ctrl-Z since, in my opinion, the need for backgrounding a process is much less when inside screen. I can always press Ctrl-z z when I need to, but that not often inside screen. The distance between Ctrl and Z is also quite short on most layouts, so it's easy to type, as opposed to most of [ / ] ^ and _ which on my keybord require an additional Shift or AltGr.

--
  Peder Stray