Re: emacs compatibility - changing a default binding?

From: Erik Falor
Subject: Re: emacs compatibility - changing a default binding?
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 13:55:07 -0600

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 03:43:09PM +0100, Joe Corneli wrote:
> From looking back at the archives (all the way to 1987), I see that ^A
> has been the default command key for Screen from the beginning.  I
> know that this can be changed on a per-user or even per installation
> basis, but I'm wondering whether that's the best approach, since users
> will become familiar with the universal default.
>
> And yet, the default binding conflicts with the default binding C-a
> for `move-beginning-of-line' in Emacs, which presumably affects many
> users.  Rather than have lots of different workarounds
> (http://emacswiki.org/emacs/GnuScreen#toc1), might it make sense to
> change the default binding?

I had to chuckle at the suggestion to use Ctrl-\ as Screen's escape
key.  I did this for a while and discovered that one can raise SIGABRT
from the command-line!

I use Ctrl-Space as my escape key:

escape ^@@

But then again, I'm not an Emacs user and don't have to set-mark.

--
Erik Falor                                       http://unnovative.net
Registered Linux User #445632                  http://linuxcounter.net