Re: New release

From: Carsten Mattner
Subject: Re: New release
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 16:56:03 +0200

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Brian Kroth <address@hidden> wrote:
> Carsten Mattner <address@hidden> 2012-07-21 14:52:
>
>> I've been using screen for many years and it has been almost
>> 4 years since the last official release.
>>
>> Are there any plans for a new release?
>> Or should I just use screen from the master branch to get
>> a recent version?
>

> I completely agree with the sentiment.  I think it's (perhaps artificially)
> holding up inclusion in the major linux distros of a modern screen, which
> really has some nice new features to offer.

This sounds kind of similar to users preferring zsh over bash just
because Apple bundles an ancient (differently licensed?) bash with OSX.

I did try tmux but it just doesn't work as well as screen for me. It
seems slower when listing many many lines of text and I also miss the
key chaining behavior of screen. The difference in key chaining is a
design choice as far as I was told and you have to redefine all the
quick key chains you use explicitly.

> Debian's experimental branch at least has a git based package now, adapted
> from a recent fedora package, which, from a quick glance, is the only major
> distro out there to have one.

Seen that, but don't use Debian. What's holding up a release?

FWIW I haven't reported this to Fedora's bug tracker but their copy of
screen has a bug somewhere which segfaults if you have "maxwin 9" or
"maxwin 4" in .screenrc. That doesn't happen on any other distro.

What can we do to get a stable release out there?