Re: Setting session name when calling screen from script

From: Thomas Adam
Subject: Re: Setting session name when calling screen from script
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 23:49:53 +0000

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 03:44:33PM -0800, Aaron Davies wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2010, at 1:46 PM, Thomas Adam wrote:
> >On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 03:30:38PM -0600,
> >address@hidden wrote:
> >
> >>I'm calling screen from a script and want to set the session
> >>name based on
> >>run-time parameters. So I'm using a command similar to:
> >>
> >>VARNAME=FOO
> >>screen -S $VARNAME
> >
> >Do you not need to still export VARNAME?
>

> no, it should be being expanded by the shell, not screen, and

Actually, yes.  This is *exactly* the problem.  Not all shells have sticky
export stuff like bourne shells.  Ksh/tcsh, are notable in point -- and as I
believe this was running on AIX, these shells are more likely being used by
default.

Give the OP already told me this worked for him -- case closed.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"It was the cruelest game I've ever played and it's played inside my head."
-- "Hush The Warmth", Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.