Re: screen vertical split speed vs dvtm

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Re: screen vertical split speed vs dvtm
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 18:04:54 -0500

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 04:27:15PM EST, Christian Ebert wrote:
> * Chris Jones on Sunday, January 10, 2010 at 15:02:43 -0500

[..]

> > This is debian lenny, so it came pre-compiled but definitely
> > configured for 256 colors. Per dpkg, it's elinks 0.11.4-3.

> See http://elinks.or.cz/faq.html#droppings for problems with
> elinks 0.11, utf and erasing characters.

> > What's the link where I can download the latest elinks so I can test
> > further.

> Either get 0.12 from here:
>
> http://elinks.or.cz/download.html
>
> or, as the git link on the page does not work (atm?), use the
> mirror:
>
> git clone git://repo.or.cz/elinks.git

I tried both 0.12pre5, which I assume to be the current stable version,
and 0.13GIT after cloning the repos, but with either version and bce on
or off, I'm still getting a garbled display, although it appears to be
slightly less frequent with the git version -- or am I getting used to
it?

I went through my ELinks configuration options changing, all options
that might be somewhat related to this issue, one at a time but I was
never able to find anything that made any difference, so I'm not sure
how it would work in your case with bce set to off and not in mine.

Right now, I'm at my wits ends.

What I can see is that it does not happen when running ELinks on a
256-color xterm (utf-8 and TERM=xterm-256color) or with the stock
4.0.3-11+lenny1 version of screen.

The only thing vaguely resembling a pattern that I was able to see was
that it never occurs with stuff that only features short lines, such as
html-ized linux man pages.

I also noticed that the Gentoo web pages, at least a few that I tested
are never affected.

In any event, Elinks is not useable under the git version of screen and
the only solution that I have is to run Elinks by itself in a separate
instance of xterm.

Thank you for your comments.

CJ

P.S. I don't suppose there's anything of a private nature in your screen
and ELinks config files, so maybe you could mail me copies off-list and
I could run a test under a separate user and see what happens.