Re: multi-user screen: switching windows isn't reflected in screen insta

From: Micah Cowan
Subject: Re: multi-user screen: switching windows isn't reflected in screen instances
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 23:35:45 -0700

David Chanters wrote:
Hi all,

I like the feature of multi-user screen.  I often do this via:

screen -x -S somesessionname

And it works great -- until, that is, I change windows in screen (via
^a a, or ^a 1 -- where "1" could be any number depending on the number
of windows in screen).  As soon as I do this, the change is reflect in
that screen instance *only* and NOT the other screen instances which
are shared -- as soon as I switch back to a window which all the other
screen instances are viewing and start typing, then it all works --
and I see all the activity in all of the shared instances.

I clearly consider this a bug -- am I wrong?  I am using screen 4.01,
if that matters, from Debian Sid.

Not a bug. That's not what most people would want it to do, either. The idea behind -x isn't that everyone is seeing the same window, but that they all have _access_ to the same windows. I tend to use -x, for example, to view two different windows in two different X terms, from the same session. That way I can easily swap which terminal is viewing which window.

Of course, a fairly straightforward way to accomplish what you've described: nested screen sessions. Have one session that everyone connects to, and then an inner session that has all the "real" windows. Then when you switch between windows in the inner screen, everyone in the outer window can see it (and of course, you can use aclchg to prevent people from opening new windows and such in the "outer" screen).

--
HTH,
Micah J. Cowan