Re: keeping system profile in screen

From: Erik Osheim
Subject: Re: keeping system profile in screen
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 17:16:55 -0500

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 03:35:13PM +0100, Simone F wrote:
> I was wondering what could be the best way of applying the global
> /etc/profile settings in every new screen instance.
> Since a manual `source /etc/profile`  every time a new screen is
> opened is a little boring.

I think you want:

    shell -/bin/bash

>From man screen(1):

   shell command

   Set the command to be used to create a new shell.  This overrides
   the value of the  environ-ment variable $SHELL.  This is useful
   if you'd like to run a tty-enhancer which is expecting to execute
   the program specified in $SHELL. If the command begins with a '-'
   character,  the shell will be started as a login-shell.

I'm think that starting bash as a login shell will source /etc/profile.

Good luck,

-- Erik