Re: `open` command on Mac OS

From: Dan Mahoney, System Admin
Subject: Re: `open` command on Mac OS
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:11:21 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Joseph Lorenzo Hall wrote:

Hi, this is going to be probably the n00best of newbie questions...
but I couldn't figure it out after considerable effort:

I'm running screen on Mac OS X in an X11 terminal window.  However,
when I use the Mac OS X shell command `open`, it doesn't open things
anymore.  For example, `open .` typically opens a Finder window (the
file manager window on Mac OS) in the current directory.

I use that damn command a lot and I can't seem to get it working in
screen (even defining aliases and such).  I must be missing something
big or obvious.

I would suggest trying to compare the environment outside screen with the environment inside a screen session. Does the OSX man page make any mention of variables used?

-Dan

--

"The first annual 5th of July party...have you been invited?"
"It's a Jack Party."

--Cali and Gushi, 6/23/02