Re: Apps creating new windows?

From: Christian Ebert
Subject: Re: Apps creating new windows?
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 16:59:21 +0200

* Trent W. Buck on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 12:35:52 +1000
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 10:10:18PM -0400, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
>> Is there ANY implementation at all, for when an app is running under
>> screen, for it to be able to launch a "new window" (for example, to
>> view an attachment in pine, to start a /query in irc, to view a file
>> in MC)...
>>
>> I'm not asking if this functionality exists in those programs, but
>> if there's a simple way of implementing it (i.e. if the calls exist,
>> etc).
>
> There is: have your program run "screen foo" to start the app "foo" on
> a new screen window.  Because $STY is set within screen, your
> invocation "screen foo" creates a new window instead of a new session.
>
> Unfortunately, this use case for screen is horribly broken if you want
> to create the new window from within a script (e.g. an Emacs key
> binding), because "screen foo" still checks if there is a controlling
> terminal -- even though in this case it doesn't need one.  I get
> around this by instead running "xterm -e screen foo", which causes a
> second xterm to pop up for a second.  This is a really evil and
> unpleasant kludge, and it makes me sad.

I might be wrong, but it sounds like you could achieve this with:
"screen -X screen foo".

  Was heißt hier Dogma, ich bin Underdogma!
[ What the hell do you mean dogma, I am underdogma. ]

_F R E E_  _V I D E O S_  -->>  http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/