Re: Apps creating new windows?

From: Juergen Weigert
Subject: Re: Apps creating new windows?
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 19:46:18 +0200

On Jul 31, 08 13:13:26 -0500, Michael Parson wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
>
> >Hey all,
> >
> >Is there ANY implementation at all, for when an app is running under
> >screen, for it to be able to launch a "new window" (for example, to view
> >an attachment in pine, to start a /query in irc, to view a file in MC)...

man screen says:
[...] new windows can be created by running a command like:

        screen emacs prog.c

from a shell prompt within a previously created window.  This will not run
another copy of screen, but will instead  supply the command name and its
arguments to the window manager (specified in the $STY environment
variable) who will use it to create the new window.  The above example
would start the emacs editor (editing prog.c) and switch to its window.

> I know the links web browser (not lynx), can open a link in a new screen
> window.  Looking at ps output, it looks like it runs another instance of
> links, so it probably does the equiv of
>
> :screen links $newurl
>
> >I'm not asking if this functionality exists in those programs, but if
> >there's a simple way of implementing it (i.e. if the calls exist, etc).

The answer is yes.
Although it is not the API call you may now want to implement, It is
a simple command line call.

        cheers,
                Jw.

--