screen -X scripting behavior

From: Andy Harrison
Subject: screen -X scripting behavior
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 15:27:55 -0400

I was wondering about this behavior from screen.  When I run this
script, it shows me that screen always thinks it is on window 0, even
when it has executed the 'other' command and I'm now looking at the
window I was previously using.  Is this expected behavior?  If so, is
there a way to make it behave so that screen will keep track of what
the currently active window actually is?

#!/bin/sh

screen -X echo 'number is...'
sleep 3
screen -X number   # shows "This is window 0..."
sleep 3

screen -X echo 'running other...'
sleep 3
#screen -X exec screen -X other
screen -X other
sleep 3

#screen -X echo -n 'focusing...'
#sleep 3
#screen -X focus
#sleep 3

screen -X echo -n 'number is...'
sleep 3
#screen -X exec screen -X number
screen -X number   # shows "This is window 0..."
#sleep 3

screen -X echo 'creating screen...'
sleep 3
screen -t footest tcsh
sleep 3

screen -X echo 'number is...'
sleep 3
screen -X number   # shows "This is window 0..."
sleep 3

screen -X echo 'running other...'
sleep 3
screen -X other
sleep 3

screen -X echo 'number is...'
sleep 3
screen -X number   # shows "This is window 0..."

- --
Andy Harrison
public key: 0x67518262