Re: Development forum?

From: Micah Cowan
Subject: Re: Development forum?
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 12:36:49 -0700

Patric 'axel-fox' Schmitz wrote:
> On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 10:46:44AM -0700, Micah Cowan wrote:
>> Actually, the first question I have isn't strictly a development
>> question: does anyone know why, when running under a xfce4-terminal with
>> backspace generating ASCII DEL (^?), hitting backspace in screen
>> generates an ASCII NUL (^@)?
>
> try entering
>
> stty erase '^?'
>
> in your shell window to fix that.

Had already done that. Or, at least I had checked the value of stty -a.
I tried explicit setting it just now anyway, as you suggested; still get
NULs.

> Why this happens beats me.

Yeah, me too. :)  ...I suspect that at least part of the bug could be
some hitch with xfce4 (which claims to be xterm) not quite conforming to
xterm's terminfo (why else should behavior differ at all from screen
running under a genuine xterm, or gnome-terminal?). But even if that's
so, some of the fault probably lies with screen, in mishandling the
situation and sending NULs that it clearly is not receiving, and that
have nothing to do with terminfo values.

Is there a better forum to contact developers? Am I correct in my
assessment that the screen-devel list is abandoned?

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/