Re: Remapping ^a

From: Michael Grant
Subject: Re: Remapping ^a
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 10:12:29 +0200

I'm guessing that your º key now generates a multi-byte sequence.

Here's how I solved this problem for a multi-byte function key:

First, you need to find what the sequence your º key generates.  I did
something like this:

cat -v
^[[15~    <--here I pressed my f5 key as an example

then in my .screenrc file I added:

bindkey "\033[15~" command

and when I press f5, that is my new screen escape key.

Michael Grant

Hi,
I have a spanish keyboard and I use º instead of ^a (º is below the esc
key and to the left of 1 in my keyboard) because that key is rarely
used and I did't like the default mapping. This has worked ok until I
swapped to utf8. Now I get a some garbage when I do certain things (for
example pasting text from another window of the screen session) in the
form of a little square. I guess what happens is that now, with utf8, º
is a multibyte character or something like that, and screen doesn't
like it.
I didn't notice the cause straight away, in fact this has been annoying
me for weeks until I discovered the cause today by spending a few hours
in my screenrc. I was sick of correcting the pasted text, or retyping
commands, etc.
Is there a way aroud this? I mean, I'd like to keep using this key
(I've used it for more than a year now), getting rid of the garbage
thing.
Thanks in advance,

jorges