Re: backtick metacharacter confused by scrolly wheel in vim

From: Aaron Griffin
Subject: Re: backtick metacharacter confused by scrolly wheel in vim
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:35:48 -0500

On 4/11/06, Alain Bench <address@hidden> wrote:
>     That should be a lower case 'h', and echo -e "\e" behaviour is not
> constant across various shells and /bin/echos. If you had GNU printf(1),
> it would better be:
>
> | $ printf "\033[?1000h"        # turn mouse reporting on
> | $ printf "\033[?1000l"        # turn mouse reporting off

Whoops, my fault - I added the 1000l one first, figured 'l' could be
ambiguous, and captialized it - I was unaware that the escape codes
are case sensitive (but they would be, wouldn't they).

And yes, the printf \033 makes more sense and is more portable.

For the record, I also use ^\ - I used to use "escape \\\\" (yeah,
both escaped), and I too noticed the "speed" of doing things - problem
is that \ is used alot... for instance, the printf line - if I were to
paste that, it would paste  "printf " to one window, \0 and switch to
window 0 and paste "33[?1000h" - made for some rather poor faux pas.