Re: (no subject)

From: cga
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:44:48 -0500

Brian Mathis wrote:

This is one of the things keeping Windows as my main desktop. Windows has keyboard ability for almost everything. It's not a problem with GUIs, just the Linux GUIs.

'screen' mouse support would be great, but that doesn't mean other features should be lost to it. Most console-based GUIs allow keyboard access.

I agree. Windows lets you do most everything from the keyboard at least for those actions where using the keyboard makes more sense than reaching for the mouse.. And most importantly.. in a manner that's consistent across applications.

I briefly tried gnome 2.x a couple of weeks ago and obviously they can't get it right.. A number of shortcuts in the gnome control center didn't work as advertised (you do an Alt+"underlined letter" and nothing happens..) and those that did were not consistently doing the same thing across the board. Maybe it's a lot more work to program and standardize actions via a 100+ keyboard than via a 3/4/5- button mouse..?

I have used linux GUIs for about 4 years. A couple of months back I decided enough is enough and that's when I started switching to text mode on the linux console. That's how I started using gnu/screen. Well, it didn't take more than a couple of days before I was totally able to forget I was using it. I hadn't felt so good in front of a computer for a long time. Right now I'm in heaven.

Unfortunately I'm still using mozilla-mail for mailing lists because I haven't finished setting up mutt/fetchmail/procmail and believe me even though I've used this application for years I still have to think twice even for simple actions: here's a good one: if you want to open/close the mail preview panel in mozilla-mail you need to do: "Alt+V, then hit W, then M". Sure I could just hit enter and open a new window and clutter my desktop further. And guess what.. there's no simple way (or just plain.. no way) this action can be re-bound to something more sensible. In mutt you hit enter for the preview and "H" to hide it. Who would want to reach for a mouse?

So considering I'm perfectly happy with the current version of scren and my experience with applications that were designed for mousers, hearing the words "mouse support" make me nervous :-)

But, as long as it doesn't turn out in the long run to be an excuse for sloppy keyboard support that's fine with me..

Cheers,
Chris.