Re: (no subject)

From: jmartin
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:41:17 -0500 (EST)

Yes, and a few other tabbed terminals (aterm?), but none are integrated into screen.

I typically have one perisitant screen session (if it weren't for a power failure that exceeded my UPS lifespan last month, the instance I started last summer would still be running). I keep logged-in ssh sessions, tailing logs, and work-in-progress open in roughly 20-30 different secreens.

Sometimes I need to interact with terminals simultaniously (i.e.: edit in one window and watch log output in another), so I'll open a terminal and connect to my screen instance (screen -x). When I'm done I'll disconnect that window. Similarly, I often connect to my unix box remotely via ssh, and connect to my faithfully persistent screen session, do some work, and disconnect.

I imagine the front-end/backend logic could be broken into two parts so that the screen that runs in a terminal is different from the code that handles the backend ptys. This way for example, I could keep my persistent screen session handler running on unix host A, then open up some hypothetical pure GUI application and have it connect to the session. Depending on the GUI, it could expose different features of the screen backend in different ways -- i.e.: tabs representing each screen. Other apps could show just the status of sessions. Think task-tray icon that might globally monitor all screens for activity or bells, and flash a red icon when triggered. Or an app like top that shows screen info, chars in/out, monitor status, etc.

I guess it wouldn't be too difficult to take existing screen code and hack it into a GUI. Whatever code allows one instance of screen to reconnect (-x) to the already persistant screen session could be integrated into a GUI. But that's far from an actual API.

Phew! That's a lot of work!