Re: Copying text in screen is tedious

From: Shawn McMahon
Subject: Re: Copying text in screen is tedious
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 08:06:25 -0400

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 03:33:27AM +0530, Pablo said:

> > change the source ;-)
>
> Sorry that I do not understand this. If you mean using the mouse? lol. I
> want to use the kb since the mouse/gpm does not work well in console. If
> it's something else I don't understand, please do clarify.

He means "it is an open source program.  You have the source code.  You
may change it to do anything you like."

I haven't looked at the code, but what you want sounds like it ought to
be a fairly simple change.

> > there probably is not more text in
> > the scrollback buffer, i suppose.
>
> Yes there is not, but there is, in the appliction. For e.g., an html page
> in links browser.

Well, how is screen supposed to scroll to text that has never been
displayed?  You're asking that screen either predict the future, or
recognize what application is running under it and direct that
application to take actions without user intervention.

> This is the same problem I mentioned above, moving down or up, shows blank
> screen ... it's only after I come out of copy mode and pressing the
> Pagedown or space shows the next page of the text, but just not in copy
> mode. I hope I make sense in what I said.

Exactly; there is no text in the buffer to copy until your application
displays some text.  This is a necessary condition.

--
Shawn McMahon      | "Tell the American people never to lose their guns.
EIV Consulting     | As long as they keep their guns in their hands, what