screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #25089] screen produces zombies

From: Axel Beckert
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #25089] screen produces zombies
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 10:59:00 -0500 (EST)

Follow-up Comment #22, bug #25089 (project screen):

[comment #20 comment #20:]
> [comment #19 commentaire #19 :]
> > I doubt that this will solve the case (completely) either because this
issue already happened in Debian 9 Stretch before I enabled libutempter
support in Debian in Debian 10 Buster.

> OK, perhaps there are different causes. But I started to see this issue only
since Debian 10 buster […]. IIRC, I had never seen it before. At least my
patch solves the issue due to libutempter (and the analysis was showing that
libutempter was the cause).

> Note also that AFAIK, there have never been similar bug reports concerning
Debian before Debian 10. Those who saw zombies earlier didn't necessarily run
Debian.

Hrm, you've made me think. Rereading my first comment in here, I indeed wrote
"Buster". I though was quite sure that I dist-upgraded that box at least once
since seeing these issues. (And it still runs Buster.) I just checked the
upgrade history and the upgrade from Stretch to Buster was in early Sept.
2019, the comment was a month afterwards.

So maybe what I remembered wasn't a dist-upgrade but an CVE fix like the one I
mentioned — which actually was the only one, so it probably was that one.
Because what I actually remembered was the thought that since I have to
upgrade screen soon anyway, I'll postpone further investigation to afterwards
in case it has been fixed by accident. And because that CVE was way more
urgent and more important. :-)

Then again I also remember that I digged deeper into this only after quite a
while experiencing this issue. I thought it might have been a year or at least
several months so (which would point to Debian 9 Stretch, too), but maybe it
was only a month (which would point to Debian 10 Buster only).

So I digged out the logs of our monitoring. And there's indeed a huge gap of
no such issues between October 2017 and end of September 2019. And those
zombies from 2017 weren't related to screen.

So thanks for pointing out that fact — you're probably right. For now I'll
stick to the facts and not my vague memories. :-)

Now playing: The Hooters — All Your Zombies (SCNR)

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?25089>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/