screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #25089] screen produces zombies

From: Axel Beckert
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #25089] screen produces zombies
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 09:55:34 -0500 (EST)

Follow-up Comment #19, bug #25089 (project screen):

Hi Vincent,

[comment #14 comment #14:]
> I've found a clash between GNU Screen and libutempter (used in utmp.c):
libutempter needs to execute some helper, and temporarily resets the SIGCHLD
handler to the default action. If the signal from the terminated shell process
arrives at this time, the handler set up by GNU Screen will not be called.

I doubt that this will solve the case (completely) either because this issue
already happened in Debian 9 Stretch before I enabled libutempter support in
Debian in Debian 10 Buster.

At some point in the past (when I had to deal with the CVE-2021-26937 fix in
early 2021, i.e. before your Debian bug report in summer 2021) I set screen
zombies to be ignored in our monitoring system. I will now reenable this
monitoring check and start tracking this issue again, also by trying out your
patch on that one machine where me and colleagues run into it, once we ran
into it again.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?25089>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/