screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] Does -L (command line arg) work?

From: Amadeusz Sławiński
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] Does -L (command line arg) work?
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 15:42:09 +0100

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 16:33:11 -0600
Stan Marsh <address@hidden> wrote:

> From within screen, I do:
>
> $ screen -L cat food
>
> This pops up a new window (in the current screen session) with an error
> message that food doesn't exist, then exits (see note 1 below). I should
> then have a screenlog.N file on my system containing that error message.
> But there is no such file.
>
> My understanding from the man page is that -L on the command line is
> supposed to be like doing an immediate ^aH in the window, but it doesn't
> work.  Note that if I do the ^aH in the newly created window, then I will
> get the expected log file.
>
> Tested originally under:
>
>     4.02.01 28-Apr-14
>
> Then re-tested under:
>
>     4.06.02 23-Oct-17
>
> with same result.
>
> Notes:
>     1) Actually, I have "zombie" mode on, so the window stays open and I
>       can see the error message generated.  But the results are the same
>       whether or not zombie mode is on and regardless of what command is
>       used to test (cat food being only used for demonstration purposes).
>
>     2) I have not tested to see if "-L" works when screen is launched
>       outside of screen.  I.e., if screen is not already running.
>
>     3) This is actually a bit annoying, since for one of my projects, I
>       really need logging to be on automatically - that is, without my
>       having to do ^aH in the window.

Hi,

from what I can see it's caused by problem with not passing all "new
window" parameters when talking to backend session.

I attached patch, can you check if it works for you? Do note that I
don't plan to merge it at the moment because it will break backward
compatibility and there was already quite a lot of problems when I did
it at the beginning of 4.6 series.

Cheers,
Amadeusz