screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] Problems in screen.1

From: Amadeusz Sławiński
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] Problems in screen.1
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 08:04:49 +0200

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 19:35:24 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Amadeusz Sławiński <address@hidden>:
> > You can find plain text versions here (they should be mostly similar,
> > but there are some differences):
> > https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/screen.git/plain/src/doc/screen.1?h=screen-v4
> > https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/screen.git/plain/src/doc/screen.1
>
> Got the second one.
>
> The problem is on line 8:
>
> .schar \[u2026] ...

There is a lot of \[u2026] in page, as I understand it was supposed to
define substitution for it.

Will take a look at the rest of things and file after I'm back from work.

> It looks like that wants to map the Unicode ellipsis rune to three ASCII
> dots.  This is a groff extension that won't work in most 3rd-party viewers,
> though the failure won't be obvious on a Unicode terminal.
>
> I just checked with cat -v and I don't think that rune is actually
> used anywhere in the page.  Try deleting the .schar line and
> eyeballing the man output to see if it renders any differently.
> If it doesn't, we can just remove the line.
>
> Also be aware that the line
>
> .ta .5i 1.8i
>
> is trouble for third-party viewers. I don't think it's doing anything
> useful - there are tabs in the document but nothing seems to depend
> on that exact spacing.
>
> The .UC 4 call in the preamble is historical debris that doesn't do anything.
>
> You have a bunch of .nf/.fi pairs that will be better as .EX/.EE - that will
> set the examples in constant-width font.
>
> The last .nf in the credits section is really bogus - that section wants
> to be a list itemized by copyright date.
>
> I'm enclosing a cleaned-up version with these changes done.
>
> I had forgotten I was a screen contributor until I saw my name in the list.
> Still don't remember what I did...

It seems those were also a cleanups for man page ;)

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/screen.git/commit/?id=536c977cc7f8cc2148d89df36c8cef94ed6962f6

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/screen.git/commit/?id=d5ab32e1d6b0081c1bb598a5077459433311de18