screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] Problems in screen.1

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] Problems in screen.1
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 19:35:24 -0400

Amadeusz Sławiński <address@hidden>:
> You can find plain text versions here (they should be mostly similar,
> but there are some differences):
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/screen.git/plain/src/doc/screen.1?h=screen-v4
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/screen.git/plain/src/doc/screen.1

Got the second one.

The problem is on line 8:

.schar \[u2026] ...

It looks like that wants to map the Unicode ellipsis rune to three ASCII
dots.  This is a groff extension that won't work in most 3rd-party viewers,
though the failure won't be obvious on a Unicode terminal.

I just checked with cat -v and I don't think that rune is actually
used anywhere in the page.  Try deleting the .schar line and
eyeballing the man output to see if it renders any differently.
If it doesn't, we can just remove the line.

Also be aware that the line

.ta .5i 1.8i

is trouble for third-party viewers. I don't think it's doing anything
useful - there are tabs in the document but nothing seems to depend
on that exact spacing.

The .UC 4 call in the preamble is historical debris that doesn't do anything.

You have a bunch of .nf/.fi pairs that will be better as .EX/.EE - that will
set the examples in constant-width font.

The last .nf in the credits section is really bogus - that section wants
to be a list itemized by copyright date.

I'm enclosing a cleaned-up version with these changes done.

I had forgotten I was a screen contributor until I saw my name in the list.
Still don't remember what I did...