screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] [bug #39389] "screen -r" should optionally pick up X1

From: Maciej Żenczykowski
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] [bug #39389] "screen -r" should optionally pick up X11 DISPLAY variable from environment
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 14:00:33 -0700

I don't think there is a generic way to make this truly automatic.
There's a bunch of variables (ie. potentially a user-specifiable list)
that need this treatment

SSH_AGENT_PID
SSH_AUTH_SOCK
SSH_CLIENT
SSH_CONNECTION
SSH_TTY
DISPLAY
possibly LANG LC_* TZ

all come to mind.

Likely the best approach is to be able to somehow (from within the
screen session)
be able to dump the environment as it was when the session was (re)attached to.

I could imagine a bash PROMPT_COMMAND running something like

$(screen -dump-vars DISPLAY,SSH_TTY)

which would execute

export DISPLAY=X
unset SSH_TTY