screen-devel

[screen-devel] description of -S and -p semantics in man page seems wron

From: Britton Kerin
Subject: [screen-devel] description of -S and -p semantics in man page seems wrong
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 14:32:03 -0800

I wanted to create a screen socket with a specific name, and
later be able to kill that particular window.  I create the window like
this:

     screen -S arduino /dev/ttyACM0

I expected to be able to kill it like this:

     screen -p arduino -X kill

But this doesn't work, all that happens is I get an inverted text
message at the bottom of the window like this:

     -X: kill: window required

After some google I find that this works:

     screen -S arduino -X kill

Here is the description of the -S option in the man page:

       -S sessionname
            When  creating a new session, this option can be used to specify a
            meaningful name for the session. This name identifies the  session
            for  "screen  -list"  and  "screen -r" actions. It substitutes the
            default [tty.host] suffix.

Here is the description of the -p option:

       -p number_or_name
            Preselect a window. This is useful when you want to reattach to  a
            specific  window or you want to send a command via the "-X" option
            to a specific window. As with screens select command, "-" selects
            the  blank  window.  As a special case for reattach, "=" brings up
            the windowlist on the blank window.

So you can see why I want to use -p, not -S.  I think its still worth keeping
the man page up to date despite google.  I don't know how git works for
this project or what the true semantics of -S and -p options are or I could
do this myself.  If anyone wants to tell me what these option descriptions
should be I'll try to get them into git.

Thanks,
Britton