savannah-users

Re: Savannah project website in Git?

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: Savannah project website in Git?
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 17:55:13 +0000

On Mon, Mar 06, 2023 at 03:54:09PM +0100, Andreas Rönnquist wrote:

> I am using the services of savannah.nongnu.org, and they are working
> nicely for my project - with one minor exception. I would like to have
> my project web page source in git to, and not in CVS.

Using Git means that next to every user will download the whole
history of changes with logs for every file in the tree, which
is an overkill for web pages where typical use cases are fixing
a typo on a page, uploading a new page or at most making a set
of changes on multiple pages.

Our Git server already suffers overloading; if Git is used for web
pages, the situation will yet deteriorate.

> But, since we currently have it in CVS - have anybody made the effort
> to handle the CVS repository with git on top of it? It should
> definitely be doable.

Sure; it would save Savannah Git server from the additional load,
though the resources still would be wasted when downloading unneeded
data from CVS.