[task #16351] Submission of Emilua

From: Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
Subject: [task #16351] Submission of Emilua
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 06:16:13 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Follow-up Comments:

Date: Sat 18 Mar 2023 10:16:11 AM UTC By: Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
<vinipsmaker>
A new group has been registered at Savannah.
This group will remain inactive until a site admin approves
or discards the registration.

= Registration Administration =

Approving or discarding the registration must be done using the specific
[https://savannah.nongnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=12281 Group
administration] page, accessible only to site
administrators logged in as superusers.

= Registration Details =

* Name: *Emilua*
* System Name:  *emilua*
* Type: non-GNU software and documentation
* License: Other license (The project uses the Boost Software License 1.0
which is pretty similar in effect to MIT and BSD licenses. Documentation is
licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. The
license Boost Software License 1.0 makes it easier to contribute code back to
the projects I make use of as dependencies in Emilua (e.g. the Boost
libraries).)

----

Emilua is an execution engine for the Lua programming language. It offers to
users of the Lua programming language, a runtime similar to what NodeJS offers
for JavaScript. That is, it offers a concurrency runtime that abstracts IO
operations offered by the underlying OS. Whether your Lua program runs on
FreeBSD, Linux, or others systems, the same IO interfaces will be available.
The project has been in development for over a few years, and it finally
reached a point where it may be of use for more people, so I'll finally
announce it soonish. Therefore, I need a mailing list, and I think Savannah is
the right place to host the mailing list to have discussions with its users
and potential contributors.

You may use Emilua in a range of projects, from building sites to building
torrent clients.

As a consequence of developing Emilua, I found bugs in several free software
projects, for which I either reported the bugs or even sent bugfix patches
myself. Here are a few bugs that were solved as a consequence of this:

* https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glib/-/merge_requests/1960
* https://github.com/shadow-maint/shadow/issues/635
* https://reviews.llvm.org/D105758
* https://github.com/skvadrik/re2c/issues/343

You can find the source code for the project at
<https://gitlab.com/emilua/emilua>. The first commit dates back from 2020.
However, the code for an earlier experiment that I did would date back even
further (2018).

You may find detailed info on the project in the documentation hosted online
at <https://docs.emilua.org/>. The same documentation is installed in the
system (as manpages) when you build the project. There's a guix package for
the previous version of the project. I'll update it to the next version as
soon as I release the new version (I'm planning April 15).

== Other Software Required: ==
LuaJIT - MIT - https://luajit.org/
Boost - Boost Software License 1.0 - https://www.boost.org/
Asciidoctor - MIT - https://asciidoctor.org/
fmt - MIT - https://fmt.dev/
sord - ISC license (also known as Zero Clause BSD) -
https://drobilla.net/software/sord.html
Trial.Protocol - Boost Software License 1.0 -
https://github.com/breese/trial.protocol
OpenSSL - BSD - https://www.openssl.org/
re2c - public domain - https://re2c.org/

== Tarball URL: ==