[task #16050] Submission of the Quirk browser

From: Ineiev
Subject: [task #16050] Submission of the Quirk browser
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 02:00:08 -0400 (EDT)

[comment #7 comment #7:]
> In my case, the only parts of the program that are GPL‐licensed are
written by me, and I’m almost certaint that the GPL cannot constrain me from
distributing my program in any way, because I wrote it myself.

Quite right; but you shouldn't distribute proprietary software, it would be
unethical.

> In particular:
>
> - I don’t want to allow people to create derivations of my program that
are proprietary.
> - I don’t mind if people can’t distribute the linked binaries of my
program because of the non‐GPL‐compatible licensed dependencies.
> - However, I don’t want for it to be illegal for users to link and use my
program by themselves because it has non‐GPL‐compatible dependencies.

You can add exceptions for certain libraries,
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs

However, your users shan't be able to add third-party GPL'ed code without the
same exceptions to your program; in other words, your program will be
effectively GPL-incompatible, and GPL compatibility is a hosting requirement
in Savannah.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?16050>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/