[task #16050] Submission of the Quirk browser

From: zamfofex
Subject: [task #16050] Submission of the Quirk browser
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 08:44:36 -0400 (EDT)

>From my understanding, it is possible for a project distributed under the GPL
to use GPL‐incompatible libraries, the same way that a GPL‐incompatible
program may have dependencies distributed under the GPL (as long as people
don’t distribute both together).

But note that I plan to distribute only the source of my project, so the
GPL‐incompatible libraries wouldn’t be distributed alongside it, and users
would be required to build and link against them on their own terms. As far as
I know, those are things that the GPL allows.

This admitedly means that some free software distributed under
GPL‐incompatible licenses are required to build and run my program, but even
then, users will be able to do so, because the linking occurs on their end,
and the GPL allows that. (At least from my understanding.)

>From what I understand, the GPL disallows people from sharing fully linked
binaries of my project (or derivations thereof), because that would mean they
would have to distribute GPL‐incompatible binaries alongside binaries
derived from my source (which is under the GPL).

But also, as I mentioned, I also took the step of separating the
GPL‐incompatible binaries out of the binaries created from my sources as
part of the build process to help avoid people share them alongside each
other. If someone wishes to share only the binaries from my sources, they can,
but to be able to use them, the GPL‐incompatible binaries are also necessary
(people can build those themselves).

My hope with using the GPL is to prevent source derivations from becoming
proprietary.

Sorry if I misunderstood something! If it really is not possible for the
project to be hosted because of the GPL‐incompatible dependencies, then I
think it’s fine to resolve this task as cancelled, since the specific
dependencies used are inherent to the design and approach taken by project as
a whole, and it’s really nontrivial to replace or remove them.

In any way, thanks for the attention!

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?16050>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/