[task #15731] Submission of Davis Remmel

From: Davis Remmel
Subject: [task #15731] Submission of Davis Remmel
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2020 18:54:31 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
This project account will remain inactive until a site admin approves
or discards the registration.

= Registration Administration =

While this item will be useful to track the registration process,
*approving or discarding the registration must be done using the specific
Group Administration
<https://savannah.nongnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=12073> page*,
accessible only to site administrators,
effectively *logged as site administrators* (superuser):

* Group Administration
<https://savannah.nongnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=12073>

= Registration Details =

* Name: *Davis Remmel*
* System Name:  *davisr*
* Type: non-GNU software and documentation
* License: GNU General Public License v3 or later

----

reMarkable Connection Utility (RCU) provides all-in-one offline management of
the reMarkable(R) tablet device. With RCU, users may create and restore full
system backups, downgrade their tablet's OS, capture screenshots, manage
notebooks, templates, wallpapers, and third-party software.

RCU is special because the manufacturer of this device pushes its users into
their document synchronization "cloud". While they are nice enough to provide
SSH access to the tablet, this is only useful for advanced users. RCU, working
through that SSH connection, makes it simple for non-technical users to manage
their device.

The application is licensed as GPLv3 and is written in Python (3.6+) using the
PySide2 (Qt) graphics framework. It is incredibly portable because it has few
dependencies (which are LGPL2.1, LGPLv3, and GPLv3-compatible).

Although RCU is developed on FreeBSD 12.1, it may run almost anywhere, and is
tested on Ubuntu 16.04, macOS 10.11, and Windows 10.

A draft of the user manual is available at:
http://www.davisr.me/dropbox/DKfi34j8fDFj348Ho7kHJ/manual.pdf

== Other Software Required: ==
Python 3.8 - GPL Compatible - https://docs.python.org/3/license.html

PySide2 - LGPLv3 - https://wiki.qt.io/PySide2

Qt - LGPLv2.1 - https://www.qt.io/

Paramiko - LGPLv2.1 - https://www.paramiko.org/

IMX USB Loader - LGPLv2.1 - https://github.com/reMarkable/imx_usb_loader

== Other Comments: ==
Greetings,

I am the author of RCU and I would like to use Savannah as a public mailing
list. Although RCU is libre software (GPLv3), I do not distribute it gratis; I
want to sell this software, and so I would like to retain my right to
distribute the source code only to those who have paid for my version. I won't
mind keeping RCU's code in Savannah if it can remain private, but I primarily
want to have a public mailing list for user contributions. Please email me at
<d@visr.me> to discuss this, if necessary.

My project follows all of the guidelines for Savannah, and so I hope this
application may be approved.

Thanks for reviewing my request,
Davis

== Tarball URL: ==