[Savannah-register-public] [task #10372] Submission of DataExplorer

From: Winfried Bruegmann
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #10372] Submission of DataExplorer
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 10:56:18 +0000

Hi Mario,

- project can run on a Free Software Java suite and Operating System
This is already done using an Ubuntu 9.04 distribution with the
IcedTea/OpenJDK coming through the actual repository channel.

- lack the Copyright & licensing information
All my Java source files has already a Copyright statement as well as
licensing information in the header. Only XSD and XML does not since this are
configuration files and re-written by the software during usage. This
configuration files defines visualization properties as well as device
specific properties which are required to interpreted the data to be displayed
or calculated. Eexecuting "find . -name "*.java" -exec grep -il Copyright {}
;" will return 226 files including a copyright statement.

- plain text version of the GPL
If I extract the zipball I see an COPYING file, I wonder why you do not see
such file. As well there are README.en and README.de available which includes
a link to http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html. The README.* files are
contained in the binary distributions created during ./configure & make. If
the link provided is not sufficient please provide me with a sufficient one.

- screenshots of a software called "AkkuMaster" running on the propietary MS
Windows
If I extract the zipball I can not find a directory
/dataexplorer-2.20/AkkuMaster/src/help/src, instead there are directories
../AkkuMaster/src/help/de and ../AkkuMaster/src/help/en which contains screen
shots of the AkkuMaster device plug-in dialogs to help to explain the
functionality of it. The AkkuMaster.jar plug-in is written, as all the device
plug-ins, in Java. For a better understanding of my software please read
"http://bruegmaenner.de/en/winfried/osde/OpenSerialDataExplorer - Users
Guide.pdf". Yes this documentation uses an different name for the software.
The name was changed to DataExplorer in agreement with Karl Berry, since the
"open" will not be excepted by GNU.
It might be possible that I used a window manager which visualization is
similar to an old fashion MW Windows visualization during the time I just took
this screen shots, if this hurts, please let me know.

The idea to using Java for this implementation was to enable support for a
wide spread of operating systems beside GNU/Linux like MS Windows and Apples
Mac OS.

Cheers
Winfried