[Savannah-register-public] [task #7793] Submission of Opéra Libre

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #7793] Submission of Opéra Libre
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 23:43:19 +0000

Hi Sylvain,
excellent news; so there might be still some hope :)

Writing RMS? Well, as a matter of fact, I've been considering (dreaming of)
doing so for the last years (I've been working on this score for almost three
years already) but never got the guts to do so. He's quite an impressive
person to me... Plus, as soon as the LilyPond developers fully took me on
board and made me discover the Savannah structure, I found a somehow
reassuring opportunity to submit my project "the standard way".

As I've told you, it's not only a matter of symbols (since I proposed smaller
structures as well to endorse my project). The FSF is by far the most widely
recognized, the most legitimate and the most powerful Libre-related
organization out there. As for the APRIL, the only contact I had was some guy
from the Administration Council; he told me he would talk with the other guys,
and after a couple of months and several mails, I just didn't want to insist
that much, nor to disrespectfuly bypass this person by writing them directly.

My score is not complete yet (there's a couple of difficult scenes that I
still need to figure out), so maybe I should wait before asking RMS his
opinion -- I've heard he can read music, so it'd be great if I could send him
the vocal score to provide him with a concrete basis :)
The more I think about it, the more I think dual-licensing could be a
solution; I already planned to accept such accomodations (hence the couple of
exceptions I wrote in the tarball), but I wasn't expecting that I'd have to
dual-license the *music* itself; in my mind, the music (source+score) would be
clearly GPLed while the "additional libraries" (e.g. the text) and "derived
works" (e.g. the recordings) could have other licenses, by authorization of
the "project leader" -- namely me :)

You are absolutely right about the "psychological" side of licenses; it's one
of the reasons that made me choose the GPL in the first place (always that
quest for legitimacy...), since it's a famous, rock-solid and well-known
license (I considered using CeCiLL-A for a while but wasn't convinced in the
end).

Anyway, your answer makes this thrilling again (wow, _the_ RMS himself heard
about my work!). Even if licensing issues end up preventing my Opéra Libre to
be hosted at Savannah's, it could make a huge difference if I could tell
people "hey, this project is officially approved by the FSF..."
If I may, I don't know if there will be any eggs in the future but I'd
definitely be glad to be the chicken here... :)

Looking forward to sending you and Richard Stallman a more elaborate mail,
description of my project, with some music attached. In the meantime, keep up
with the good work at GNU's!

Regards,
Valentin Villenave

  Message posté via/par Savannah