[Savannah-register-public] [task #7253] Submission of A Porting tool for

From: Jari Aalto
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #7253] Submission of A Porting tool for making Cygwin Net Releases
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 08:32:04 +0000

> ...provide a working URL.

Small error in the URL last time. Here is update. Not sure what
happened to that previous message, which did not appear at the forum
last time.

http://cante.net/~jaalto/tmp/tmp/cygbuild-20070831.0814.tar.gz

> You explained correctly the first time, but maybe I wasn't clear, so
> I'll explain differently:
>
> At Savannah it's a problem to host programs that only work under
> Woe/Cygwin. I ask you to make sure this can work under a free OS, such
> as GNU/Linux. You answer me OK, but at the same time you say you never
> tested it and have no experience with such a setup. So at first glance
> you cannot make sure this can be used without Woe/Cygwin. Maybe you
> actually rely on Woe or Cygwin itself, and don't know about it.

Thank you for explaining. I think we're talking criss cross, but mean
the same thing. Let me try picturing this issue better.

I can guarantee that the application can run on Free OS (Hurd.
GNU/Linux etc.), because it relies on GNU programs and only on other
Free software (Perl). However the constraints are too severe
considering the "testing" part you referred:

- I have no access to such environment
- the environment would require cross compiling setup [1]
- Ccoss compiling is somethng I have no expertise on

But I try to address the issue other way, which I hope is
satisfactory.

Other people have done that using other OS where they develop Cygwin
related things (requires no Windows OS etc). See this document that
explains it:

    "Cygwin/X Contributor's Guide" [1]
    Cross Compiling...

So yes, I can be confident that what you asked, is reality, and being
done by others.