savannah-hackers

[sr #109942] restore automake-commit mail?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [sr #109942] restore automake-commit mail?
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 23:55:37 -0500 (EST)

I am pretty sure that the mail being from root even though I ran it with sudo
to be "karl" was because it probably pulled root from USER or one of the other
variables. I did not expect that and after it happened I didn't want to run it
twice. Seems like it probably should work when done for real. Since then it is
a login as the actual user.

I am okay with leaving the from address from the committer. I had forgotten
that passing through the mailing lists causes the fixup as it goes through the
Exim config. So it will be just like all of the mailing lists. That's good to
be all the same.

I looked at the emacs config and the file has not changed since 2014.

[multimailhook]
        mailinglist = address@hidden
        emailPrefix = ""

-rw-rw-r-- 1 root emacs 229 Nov 18  2014 config

That seems pretty simple and explicit.  But I don't know.  I can't remember
what I had for breakfast yesterday since I have slept since then.

What is the difference between "commits" and "diffs"?  That distinction has no
meaning to me.  Aren't they both the same?  Not understanding that is
hampering my understanding of the problem.

We could ask Glenn Morris about the thinking at the time as I am pretty sure
he was involved in it.  (But I have little memory of the emacs transition. It
is even possible that I was involved and have no memory of it.)

There are 265 post-receive scripts in place that are not executable. But that
is because at least the ones I spot checked are all empty comments-only
templates. So not sure I would want to simply enable all of them.

When I grep to list non-executable post-receive hooks that are using
git-multimail I find only the single test-project which I used for testing but
then disabled afterward. All of the others using git-multimail are
executable.

I did not look at all of the other non-git-multimail hooks. I don't know how
many of those there are. But there are at least a few that do things
different. Those are all uniquely different.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?109942>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/