[Savannah-dev] [Bug #651] comment for comment

From: nobody
Subject: [Savannah-dev] [Bug #651] comment for comment
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 03:33:03 -0400

=================== BUG #651: LATEST MODIFICATIONS ==================
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=651&group_id=11

Changes by: Laurent Julliard <address@hidden>
Date: 2002-Jun-17 09:33 (Europe/Paris)

            What     | Removed                   | Added
          Resolution | None                      | Remind
              Status | Open                      | Closed
              Effort | 0.00                      | 0.50

I understand the motivation but I also think that a bug tracking system should
not become a discussion Forum. The way you describe how bug comments are
handled is very similar to the original SourceForge Web Forums which the
Savanaah team has decided to de-activate.

There are probably some cases where complex bugs can lead to loooong
discussions (I was involved with some Mozilla bugs so I know what you mean) but
I think it rarely happens. In addition this would have a fairly important
impact on the current Bug database schema and bug scripts and I prefer to
collect other similar requests before embarking in such a big change.

=================== BUG #651: FULL BUG SNAPSHOT ===================

Submitted by: okuji                     Project: Savannah
Submitted on: 2002-Jun-15 16:22
Category:  Bug Tracker                  Severity:  1 - Enhancement

Original Submission:  The BTS supports adding comments, but that is only for
original submissions, at the moment. I think it would be
useful to have a feature to add comments for comments but
not for original submissions.

Why is that feature useful? Suppose that a person A
submitted an original bug and another person B added a
comment for the original bug. When you want to reply B's
comment but not A's original comment, you will have to
add a comment for A's submission. So your reply will be
notified A instead of B.

This kind of scenario actually happened. The result was
really confusing.

Thanks,
Okuji

Follow-up Comments
*******************

Date: 2002-Jun-17 09:33             By: ljulliar
I understand the motivation but I also think that a bug tracking system should
not become a discussion Forum. The way you describe how bug comments are
handled is very similar to the original SourceForge Web Forums which the
Savanaah team has decided to de-activate.

There are probably some cases where complex bugs can lead to loooong
discussions (I was involved with some Mozilla bugs so I know what you mean) but
I think it rarely happens. In addition this would have a fairly important
impact on the current Bug database schema and bug scripts and I prefer to
collect other similar requests before embarking in such a big change.

No files currently attached

For detailed info, follow this link:
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=651&group_id=11