reproduce-devel

[task #15942] Removing Metastore from Maneage

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15942] Removing Metastore from Maneage
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 09:50:16 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

Currently we are using metastore in Maneage to keep the date of files between
checkouts.

The main reason was this: suppose you are running a project that takes 5 days
to build (and of course the analysis depends on some of our project's
configuration files, and thus the dates of those files). But when you checkout
to the 'maneage' branch, pull the most recent changes and then checkout back
to your project branch, the dates of all your project-specific files will be
reset to the current date! As a result, next time you run './project make' it
will re-do everything (which is terribly annoying!).

With meta-store, the dates of files (generally the file metadata) is stored in
a binary file and a hook is added before a commit and after a checkout to call
Metastore and reset the dates.

However, in the last few years since adding it it has caused more problems
than benefits and having to carry around the binary file is very annoying.
There are two simple solutions to avoid the need:

* Do the merge with Maneage when you want to do a clean re-build (which is of
course the best and most recommended way to catch possible changes in
infrastructre!).
* Do the merge on a different directory, push the merge to your repository and
pull from your project branch in your main project.

With this task, I am suggesting to remove metastore from Maneage and add
notices on these alternative solutions.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15942>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/