reproduce-devel

[task #15654] Webpage for videos introducing Maneage

From: Boud Roukema
Subject: [task #15654] Webpage for videos introducing Maneage
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 18:34:17 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #1, task #15654 (project reproduce):

The long-term option for hosting videos would be to host
a peertube instance [1]. For example, our first maneage video
is now also hosted at:

https://peertube.live/videos/watch/862f11c4-d63d-4484-b81c-81206ccfc14d

A peertube instance would be federated through the ActivityPub
protocol [2] with other peertube instances, and the creation of
accounts on the maneage server would best be strongly moderated.
On peertube.live, where I just created an account and uploaded
_862f11c4-d63d-4484-b81c-81206ccfc14d_ , aka
http://git.maneage.org/videos.git/commit/?id=d10b58d9e
but reformatted slightly to satisfy the 100 Mb/day upload
limit to ordinary peertube.live users like me. It seems that the
upload of a 70 Mb h264 file was converted for internal server
purposes to another format (or multiple formats) of about 300 Mb.

For videos, this seems to me a better long-term solution than
git LFS. Of course, someone would have to maintain the server,
update it for security upgrades, and so on, and I'm *not*
volunteering. The alternative is to use community peertube
servers, such as peertube.live, which lists 'science' as one
of its themes.

[1] https://joinpeertube.org/faq
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActivityPub ; https://activitypub.rocks/

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15654>