Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restore while backing up

From: Christopher Hawkins
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restore while backing up
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 15:46:11 +0000

The error doesn't say they will write to the same repository, it says "if" they do, data will be corrupted. It can only see that another process is running, it doesn't know that you are targeting a different destination.

And - restores do write files, to the place where you are restoring them to. It doesn't know that you are restoring to a different directory and the warning is generic. A restore is a read only operation on the source repo as long as you are restoring to another place. That said, like any file copy operation it may read lock certain files and if the backup in progress tries to update those, it will fail. So you are risking an interruption of the current backup but I would say you are not risking data corruption. Best to wait if possible.